Hopefully, you’re on the path to your career goals!
The World of Work
What do I need to know?
Whatever stage you are at, we hope to provide you with an insight into the world of work, a place which might seem unfamiliar, but a place where you should begin to feel a sense of happiness and success!
Top Interview Tips
- Do your research on the industry and read the person specification again before the interview.
- Review your application form – what did you say? What might they ask you based on your answers?
- Arrive on time – aim to get there at least fifteen minutes before the scheduled time.
- Dress appropriately – clean and smart.
- Be positive – your body language speaks volumes!
- Give detailed answers – where you can, give examples from your previous job of things you have accomplished.
- Highlight your strengths, think about what might set you apart from the other candidates.
- Be honest – never lie about your past experience, it may come back to haunt you.
- Listen carefully to each question before you respond, if you are unsure of what is being asked, don’t be afraid to say so.
- Ask questions – remember you will potentially be employed by this company, make sure you find out all that you want to before you accept a job. You need to clarify everything about the job before you walk out of that door!
How to apply for a job
- Make sure you have an up-to-date CV which is clear and highlights all your important qualities.
- Ensure that you have a personal statement, not all jobs require you to send a CV. Your personal statement should reflect the person specification for what they are looking for in an employee.
- Make sure you start filling in the application form well before the deadline. Application forms take a long time to fill in if they are done to a good standard, and ensure you meet the deadline.
- Complete the application form in detail; make sure the questions are answered to the best of your ability. Ask for support from friends or family if you need it, they would have been in your position before and may have more experience than you in filling out application forms.
- Ask a friend or family member to do a mock interview with you. Make sure they have a copy of the job specification so that they can ask you relevant questions.
Find some useful tips here.